Whoah, Just woke up from a dream where Ben Werdmüller and Aaron Parecki were at my local library for separate important non-indieweb related things and I kept interrupting being like “but what about the Internet?!”. Dreams are weird.
um except how hilarious when your child says that as a 2yo in a fit of rage
I accidentally taught my son a lot of phrases like this because melodrama is one of my favourite kinds of comedy, and I didn’t realize how much of my vocabulary centers around that, but oooooh man. He thinks I am the funniest person in the world, and he is really perceptive and intelligent for a 3 year old… Once they pick up on something they feel is useful, they won’t ever forget it.
So far he has learned:
- "Almost died." - Having experienced mild but sudden anxiety.
- "Gone forever." - When you lose something just slightly out of reach but don’t want to put forth the effort to get it back.
- "I am afraid of my own head." - Having scary but irrational thoughts.
- "Did you hear it? The monsters…" - When other people aren’t paying enough attention to something important.
- "IT HURTS. I CAN’T." - When you don’t want to be responsible.
- "I can’t, I’ll die." - When you don’t want to eat something.
- "Goodbye, everyone." - Hiding for a short period of time, or leaving the room quickly to go get something.
- "I NEED IT. I MUST." - When you don’t want to do something, and are procrastinating by suddenly remembering/inventing small but urgent tasks.
- "IT’S OKAY, CALM DOWN, I GOT THIS." - I can help/I can do it myself.
- A very large collection of growls, snarls, roars, rasping whispers, horror-movie screams, and zombie groans.